Friday, May 24, 2013

Firecracker by David Iserson

When I found out one of the writers form one of my favorite shows was having a published I was excited, when I realized that it was going to be YA I was ecstatic.  I was certainly not disappointed.  Astrid Krieger is an amazing protagonist and narrator.  I found her biting commentary a refreshing departure from the typical female characters in YA novels.  There is no trite love triangle; no girl pining over a boy who doesn't like her.  There is a pissed off teenager hell bent on revenge and very talented at discovering what people are useful for.  She speaks her mind and says what most people think but are afraid to say.

Astrid has been recently expelled from her prestigious boarding school for a cheating scandal.  To add insult to serious injury, she is confident that one of her useful associates turned on her.  To make things even worse she is forced to go to (dun dun DUUUUNNNNN) public school.  As a teacher, I found the descriptions of public school particularly hilarious.  The smell of urine, disinterested teachers, and administrators who have already made up their minds about a new student are very realistic.

Astrid only seems to trust and care about one person, her grandfather.  I absolutely adored their scenes.  It showed a softer side of Astrid and made her character more sympathetic.  The path that their relationship takes through the story arc is crucial to her development and growth as a person.

Will Astrid get her revenge on the mysterious person who caused her demise or will her whole plan go up in smoke?  Find out by reading the hilarious Firecracker by David Iserson.

Favorite Line From the Book:

"If someone wants to win me over, they should give me something useful like juice boxes or a boat"- Astrid Krieger

No comments:

Post a Comment